top of page

Seward County Sheriff

Official: Michael Vance
Phone:  (402)643-2359
FAX:  (402) 643-4852
Location:  261 South 8th Street, Seward, NE  68434
Hours:   8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Pistol Purchase Applications

Pursuant to Nebraska Statute 69-2403 a handgun certificate is required to purchase, lease, rent, or receive a handgun. The law applies to both retail and private party transactions. The law also prohibits selling, leasing, renting, or transferring a handgun to a person who does not possess a handgun certificate. A certificate is not required if:

  • The person acquiring the handgun is a licensed firearms dealer;

  • The handgun is an antique;

  • The person acquiring the handgun is authorized to do so on behalf of a law enforcement agency;

  • The transfer is temporary and the transferee remains within (a) in the line of sight of the transferor or (b) within the premises of an established shooting facility; or

  • The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent.


Applicants who live outside of the Seward or Milford city limits may apply in person at the Sheriff’s Office, 261 S 8th St, Seward, NE, Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.


  • Current Nebraska operator’s license, Nebraska state ID card, or a Military ID card. The address on your Nebraska ID must be current and match the address on the application. If your only form of ID is a Military ID card, you must also provide proof of Seward County residency (i.e. utility bill, vehicle registration, pay stub, etc.)

  • Application fee of $5.00.

  • Applicants born outside the U.S. must also provide a copy of their citizenship papers, U.S. Passport, birth certificate, or alien resident card.


To obtain a handgun certificate from our office you must be at least 21 years old and a current Seward County Resident.


Applications will be denied if the applicant:

  • fails to answer all questions on the application;

  • is under indictment or information in any court or felony, or any other crime for which the judge could imprison you for more than one year. (An information is a formal accusation of a crime by a prosecutor. An indictment is from a grand jury.)

  • has been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime, for which a judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation? (A “yes” answer is not required if you have been pardoned for a the crime and under the law where the conviction occurred, you are not prohibited from receiving or possessing any firearm.)

  • is a fugitive from justice;

  • is an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any controlled substance;

  • has been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes having been adjudicated incompetent to manage your own affairs) or been committed to a mental institution;

  • has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions

  • is an alien illegally in the United States;

  • having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;

  • is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening a child, an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner;

  • has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence;

  • is an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;

  • any restrictions by local ordinances;

  • any other disqualifiers that may be seen fit by the approver


Certificates are valid, statewide, for three years at which time applicants must apply for a new certificate.

bottom of page