top of page

Seward County Zoning Department

Official: Marissa Pfile
Location: 529 Seward Street #301, Seward, NE  68434
Office Hours: Monday - Thursday 8:00am - 4:00pm

Functions of the Zoning Office


The primary responsibility of the Seward County Zoning Office is to administer and enforce zoning regulations in Seward County.

Any constructing, reconstructing, enlarging, alteration or moving of any nonfarm building or structure requires a permit in all areas of Seward County zoning jurisdiction. A nonfarm building or structure is any building except those buildings utilized for agricultural purposes on a farmstead of twenty acres or more which produces one thousand dollars or more of farm products each year.


Permits are used to insure compliance to building code, statutes and regulations, and is the process for an individual to learn the requirements prior to the start of a project. Permits are not required for maintenance such as painting, papering, re-roofing etc.

Planning to Build or Develop in Seward County?

Here are easy steps to help ensure a smooth process:

  1.  Connect with the Zoning Administrator to make sure you understand what district your land is zoned in. Understanding the zoning regulations that apply to your property is helpful in knowing what restrictions, if any apply.

  2.  Stop into the County Clerk’s Office to see is anything attached to your property you may be unaware of – for example, a utility easement.

  3.  Make sure there is a $0 balance on your property tax if you are looking to request a Short Form Plat. This is required by regulation to separate land in Seward County – even if you are still within the timeframe of payment.

  4.  Reconnect with Zoning Administrator to share your plans and apply for necessary permits.

  5.  Attend any Planning Commission or Board of Commissioners meetings as required.

  6.  Start your project.

How may acres do I need to build?

The basic rule in Seward County is that:

*2 homes may be built per quarter section and on property zoned "agriculture".            

*4 homes per quarter section in land zoned "transitional agriculture".  

There are exceptions to this rule. It is  that you contact the Zoning Office with the legal description of the property you are interested in and for an interpretation that applies.









bottom of page